I'll reiterate part of what roman said :)

Apache BigTop IS the upstream opensource hadoop distribution :)   Its the
only open distro out there that is actually contributed to and built by
people

who also are commiter/contributors to the sister projects (hbase, hadoop,
spark, and so on).

Engineers at Cloudera, Rackspace, Pivotal, WanDisco, Red Hat, Hortonworks,
and many other companies regularly contribute to and advise on the
development of it,

although the big vendors have a love/hate relationship with it - it really
is the most integrated and robust fully open hadoop distribution out there.

And its super easy to test out and play with.  Just join the mailing list
and ask us where to get started, you can

have a working custom hadoop cluster with spark or hadoop or hbase running
on multiple VMs in a matter of minutes.

We also curate reference implementations of full stack applications with
idiomatic unit testing / build / data lifecycling that you

can use to build "real world" bigdata applications as well.

See you on #bigtop in irc or on the mailing list !  We're happy to help you
get started.

--
jay vyas