Bigtop, in a nutshell, is a non-commercial multi-stakeholder Apache project
that produces a build framework that takes as input source from Hadoop and
related big data projects and produces as output OS native packages for
installation and management - certainly, a distribution of the Hadoop ecosystem
- coupled with a suite of integration tests for ensuring the distribution
components are working well together, coupled with a suite of Puppet scripts
for post-deploy configuration management. It's a rather large nutshell. (Smile)
 Bigtop distribution packages are supported by Cask's Coopr (coopr.io) and I
think to some extent by Ambari (haven't tried it).

I've personally used Bigtop for years to produce several custom Hadoop
distributions. For this purpose it is a great tool.

Please mail u...@bigtop.apache.org if you would like to know more, we'd love to
talk with you.