Hi Vity!

Please let me reiterate that I think its great work and I'm glad you
thought of sharing it with the community. Thanks a lot.

I can think of a few reasons for using WebHDFS, although, if these are not
important to you, it may not be worth the effort:
1. You can point to an HttpFS gateway in case you do not have network
access to the datanodes.
2. WebHDFS is a lot more likely to be compatible with different versions of
Hadoop (https://github.com/avast/hdfs-shell/blob/master/build.gradle#L80)
Although, the community is trying really hard to maintain compatibility
going forward for FileSystem too.
3. You may be able to eliminate linking a lot of jars that hadoop-client
would pull in.

Having said that there may well be reasons why you don't want to use
WebHDFS.

Thanks again!
Ravi