One option is to use EC2 to spin up a cluster for a short period of time and
test on it, but that brings along its own set of complications.

What kind of things are you hoping to contribute?  I would say the best way to
do things if you don't have large clusters to test on is write lots of good
unit tests.

A vast majority of the testing I do is either through unit tests or smaller (5
or so) node clusters.  After things work there, then there's the long-running
large cluster tests, but things go through lots of other testing prior to that.

If you have specific things you'd like to work on but feel that it requires a
lot of large cluster load testing, then try to convince someone from SU,
Cloudera, or FB to help you test it :)  Easiest way to do that is with cool
features and good unit testing.

JG