Very good points, I'm thinking it's environmental as well, but I
wanted to do a 'sanity check'. I don't really have any control over
this cluster. Upgrading to .89 reduced the load time from 24 hours to
8, but I was expecting 2hrs based on past tests. I can live with it
since it's an initial bulk import, but I want HBase to look awesome
for these customers (since they have a lot of pull).

Another cluster with nearly identical setup for HBase is blazing fast
(for EC2).

(I'm not much of a sysadmin).

Cheers,