On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 10:22 AM, benchmark <zsl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is the vmstat 1 results. Is that a lot of context switches? this is a
> box with 8 cpus and hyperthreading enabled on centOS.

Is this output with 250 threads running?
When you say "8 cpus", do you mean 1 physical CPU with 4 cores with
HyperThreading enabled?  What's the model number of that CPU?

You're seeing only ~1000 context switches per second per core, that's
not completely unreasonable.  Your server seems more idle than
anything else...  I'd suggest looking at a packet capture to see what
the network latency looks like, I'm guessing you'll see that the slow
comes from the server-side.

What's your HBase cluster like?  How many nodes, what hardware, what
configuration?  What's you block cache hit ratio?

--
Benoit "tsuna" Sigoure
Software Engineer @ www.StumbleUpon.com