Re:  " monotonically increasing column names."

No problem with that.

-----Original Message-----
From: Leif Wickland [mailto:leifwickl...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2011 5:29 PM
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Subject: Re: Question from HBase book: "HBase currently does not do well with
anything about two or three column families"

> Read the part about monotonically increasing keys in the HBase book.
> There have been lots of other threads in the dist-list about this topic too.

Thanks for mentioning that, Doug.  I did see that in the HBase book.

My wording was poor.  I meant that the column names would be derived from data
like [timestamp, action details, session ID].  I've been trying to figure out
if I could use the cell's timestamp (and have no garbage
collection) so that the key name would be derived from [action details, session
ID].  The downside of that approach is I'd need to load all of the cells in
memory and sort it in order to do some of the analysis I need.

I don't remember seeing an admonishing against monotonically increasing column
names.  Is that also a bad idea?

Thanks for your help,

Leif Wickland