J-D,
I was getting these errors even after restarting the client. So it probably
is not straightforward.
Also, I was able to run a combination of check_meta.rb and hbck with their
fix options and restore some of the inconsistencies. i still have 4
inconsistencies left (earlier it was 7) but check_meta thinks .META. is
fine. After i did this, I am not getting java client errors any more. Not
sure how to explain that.

Do you still want me to send the information you requested? may be you can
help with remaining inconsistencies.

thanks
vinod