I think I saw one effort of creating a nice tool for doing that long time
ago... Aha, here it is: https://github.com/larsgeorge/hbase-schema-manager.
Might be outdated.. Lars?

As for us, we do changes really rarely (usually have one table with one
columnfamily in it), so one-off shell scripts work well.

Alex Baranau
------
Sematext :: http://blog.sematext.com/ :: Solr - Lucene - Hadoop - HBase