There is a two tools that can try to help you (unfortunately, I haven't
written the user documentation for either yet)

One is called OfflineMetaRepair.  This assumes that hbase is offline reads
the data in HDFS  to create a new ROOT and new META.  If you data is in
good shape, this should work for you. Depending  on which version of hadoop
you are using, you may need to apply HBASE-5488.

On the latest branches of hbase (0.90/0.92/0.94/trunk) the hbck tool has
been greatly enhanced and may be able to help out as well once an initial
META table is built, and your hbase is able to get online.  This will
currently will require a patch HBASE-5781 to be applied to be useful.

Jon.

--
// Jonathan Hsieh (shay)
// Software Engineer, Cloudera