>>Why do you need to know this?  Were you trying to do a percentage of rows
per region?
Yes, that's exactly why I want to know this.  Calculating % is the best way
of distributing keys evenly across regions - me thinks. Everything else is
just approximation.

>>Otherwise just have a member variable of your reducer class and increment
it on each call to reduce().
Tried it, but didn't work.  Basically, we should be able to find out in a
reducer how many rows were created by all Mappers.  I am a bit surprised MR
framework doesn't provide this.

>>I think you'll be better of finding a way to do it not using percentage
if possible.
Yes, if everything else fails, approximation is the way to go.

>>Try calculating the size of the data instead perhaps.
Correct, but as I said in previous email, I would rather not run another MR
job just to calculate COUNT(*).  There are over 8 Billion rows & sorting
them is a bit expensive operation.

>>we tallied up the KeyValue.getLenght() for each KeyValue in a row until
the size reached a certain limit.
The keyword in this line is "certain".  How do you come up with that
"certain" number, by approximation right?  If everything else fails, that's
what I will do.

Thanks for your help.

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Bryan Beaudreault <bbeaudrea...@hubspot.com