Re: your question #1, you won't be able to pass information from mappers to
reducers by using static variables. Since map tasks run in different JVM
instances than reduce tasks, the value of the static variable will never be
sent from the mapper JVM to the reducer JVM.

It might work in standalone mode, but that's probably not the case for your
production environment.

Re: your question #2, google for "hadoop secondary sort."

Some vague advice on your algorithm to determine the best splits for your
data: if you don't need the splits to be optimal, you might try randomly
sampling your keys instead of processing all of them. This might not even
require mapreduce.

Best,
Dave