I'm interested to learn if people are using hbase as a primary store or is
it more for "2nd class" type data.

Pretend you have a CMS product, or eCommerce Saas application:

What I mean by this is, I consider "primary store" to mean storing the
actual content (say articles, or blog posts), category data, user
information, or shopping cart order, product information.

"2nd class" type data is data like metrics, analytics, log data, or say
index data (data that can be re-built via the primary store).

In general 2nd class data is data that if lost, it won't bring the business
to its knees.

What do you guys think, am I right?

i.e. if you are creating a Saas product, it wouldn't be advisible to build
it using hbase (or it will be kind of bleeding edge architecture).