As someone who has been developing/running/using the software for a longer
period of time than the person who is asking the question, you can best serve
the poser by making them aware of the trade offs and why it's a good/bad idea
to do things a certain way. At the end of the day, it's their choice to make
based on their requirements and constraints.

Having said that, it'll be really nice to stop this thread from becoming more
about how to answer questions rather than answering the question itself.

Bringing the thread back to track:

Jay, you can certainly run zookeepers with the Datanodes and Region Server
processes. The issue there (as highlighted by Andy earlier) is that you will
likely load up the machine (primarily due to I/O) which will cause ZK some
grief. It is generally recommended to collocate in the following groups:

Datanode + Region Servers on the same physical nodes
Zookeeper and HBase Master on the same physical nodes (make sure to give ZK a
dedicated spindle)
Namenode on an independent node
Secondary Namenode on an independent node

These are the general recommendations and different environments might warrant
different decisions. For instance, if it's just a PoC or Dev cluster where you
don't really want to fret about SLAs and want to keep costs low, it might even
be okay to collocate the Namenode, Zookeeper and HBase master on the same
physical host.

Hope that helps

-Amandeep