If you have a single datanode with a replication of two, it will
(basically) won't work, as it will try to replicate the blocks on two
datanodes while there is only one available. Note that I'm speaking
about datanodes (i.e. hdfs) and not region servers (i.e. hbase).

pastebin the full logs with the region server, may be someone will
have an idea of the root issue.

But I think it's safer to start with the pseudo distributed, it's
easier to setup and it's documented. A distributed config with a
single node is not really standard, it's better to start with the
easiest path imho.