Suraj,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I tried various values of hbase.hstore.blockingStoreFiles and
hbase.hregion.memstore.block.multiplier, but this did not have any effect I
could discern. I am still getting about 5K rows per second regardless of
the number of regionservers I am running.

After asking around I discovered we do have ganglia installed on our grid.
Taking a look at some of the machines running my regionservers I do see a
spike in I/O when I run my MR job. Not sure if this is the bottleneck for
me though, as the spikes are at about 20-30 MB/sec.

Jon