When I try to access HBase from a cluster node which is not the
zookeeper server I have the following problem:

-bash-3.2$ hostname
node33
-bash-3.2$ hbase shell
HBase Shell; enter 'help<RETURN>' for list of supported commands.
Type "exit<RETURN>" to leave the HBase Shell
Version 0.90.4-cdh3u3, r, Thu Jan 26 10:13:36 PST 2012

hbase(main):001:0> status

ERROR: org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ZooKeeperConnectionException: HBase is
able to connect to ZooKeeper but the connection closes immediately.
This could be a sign that the server has too many connections (30 is
the default). Consider inspecting your ZK server logs for that error
and then make sure you are reusing HBaseConfiguration as often as you
can. See HTable's javadoc for more information.

Here is some help for this command:
Show cluster status. Can be 'summary', 'simple', or 'detailed'. The
default is 'summary'. Examples:

  hbase> status
  hbase> status 'simple'
  hbase> status 'summary'
  hbase> status 'detailed'

hbase(main):002:0>

Now, if I log into the zookeeper server I can do:

-bash-3.2$ hostname
master
-bash-3.2$ hbase shell
HBase Shell; enter 'help<RETURN>' for list of supported commands.
Type "exit<RETURN>" to leave the HBase Shell
Version 0.90.4-cdh3u3, r, Thu Jan 26 10:13:36 PST 2012

hbase(main):001:0> status
34 servers, 0 dead, 59.0882 average load

hbase(main):002:0>

What's going on? I suspect that HBase should be able to read/write
from any node that I can modify hdfs from.