Yes, I am having success with it.

We use Cloudera and there's a button, "Generate Client Configuration",
which generated a .zip file with a very informative README.txt. The
trick is to extract that .zip and export HBASE_CONF_DIR :

hbase(main):002:0> exit
-bash-3.2$ hostname
node33
-bash-3.2$ export HBASE_CONF_DIR=/data/cm-gui/hbase-global-clientconfig
-bash-3.2$ /usr/lib/hbase/bin/hbase shell
HBase Shell; enter 'help<RETURN>' for list of supported commands.
Type "exit<RETURN>" to leave the HBase Shell
Version 0.90.4-cdh3u3, r, Thu Jan 26 10:13:36 PST 2012

hbase(main):001:0> status
34 servers, 0 dead, 59.0882 average load

So far, this is working and I can get to the shell from other nodes. I
think the installation process for mapreduce/hdfs is the same (but the
guy who set it all up quit a few weeks ago).