I don't know details about Kristoffer's schema.
If all the column qualifiers are known a priori, mutateRow() should serve
his needs.

HBase allows arbitrary number of columns in a column family. If the schema
is dynamic, mutateRow() wouldn't suffice.
If the column qualifiers are known but the row is very wide (and a few
columns are updated per call), performance would degrade.

Just some factors to consider.

Cheers