Hi,

I presume you have read the percolator paper. The design there uses a
single ts oracle, and BigTable itself as the transaction manager. In omid,
they also have a TS oracle, but I do not know how scalable it is. But using
ZK as the TS oracle would not work, since ZK can scale up to 40-50K
requests per second, but depending on the cluster size, you should be
getting much more than that. Especially considering all clients doing reads
and writes has to obtain a TS. Instead what you want is a TS that can scale
to millions of requests per sec. This can be achieved by the technique in
the percolator paper, by pre allocating a range by persisting to disk, and
an extremely lightweight rpc. I do not know whether Omid provides this.
There is a twitter project https://github.com/twitter/snowflake that you
might want to look at.

Hope this helps.

Enis