From: James Birchfield [jbirchfi...@stumbleupon.com]
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2013 3:50 PM
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Subject: Re: HBase Table Row Count Optimization - A Solicitation For Help

Hadoop 2.0.0-cdh4.3.1

HBase 0.94.6-cdh4.3.1

110 servers, 0 dead, 238.2364 average load

Some other info, not sure if it helps or not.

Configured Capacity: 1295277834158080 (1.15 PB)
Present Capacity: 1224692609430678 (1.09 PB)
DFS Remaining: 624376503857152 (567.87 TB)
DFS Used: 600316105573526 (545.98 TB)
DFS Used%: 49.02%
Under replicated blocks: 0
Blocks with corrupt replicas: 1
Missing blocks: 0

It is hitting a production cluster, but I am not really sure how to calculate
the load placed on the cluster.
On Sep 20, 2013, at 3:19 PM, Ted Yu <yuzhih...@gmail.com> wrote:

> How many nodes do you have in your cluster ?
>
> When counting rows, what other load would be placed on the cluster ?
>
> What is the HBase version you're currently using / planning to use ?
>
> Thanks
>

> On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 2:47 PM, James Birchfield <
> jbirchfi...@stumbleupon.com> wrote:
>
>>        After reading the documentation and scouring the mailing list
>> archives, I understand there is no real support for fast row counting in
>> HBase unless you build some sort of tracking logic into your code.  In our
>> case, we do not have such logic, and have massive amounts of data already
>> persisted.  I am running into the issue of very long execution of the
>> RowCounter MapReduce job against very large tables (multi-billion for many
>> is our estimate).  I understand why this issue exists and am slowly
>> accepting it, but I am hoping I can solicit some possible ideas to help
>> speed things up a little.
>>
>>        My current task is to provide total row counts on about 600
>> tables, some extremely large, some not so much.  Currently, I have a
>> process that executes the MapRduce job in process like so:
>>
>>                        Job job = RowCounter.createSubmittableJob(
>>                                        ConfigManager.getConfiguration(),
>> new String[]{tableName});
>>                        boolean waitForCompletion =
>> job.waitForCompletion(true);
>>                        Counters counters = job.getCounters();
>>                        Counter rowCounter =
>> counters.findCounter(hbaseadminconnection.Counters.ROWS);
>>                        return rowCounter.getValue();
>>
>>        At the moment, each MapReduce job is executed in serial order, so
>> counting one table at a time.  For the current implementation of this whole
>> process, as it stands right now, my rough timing calculations indicate that
>> fully counting all the rows of these 600 tables will take anywhere between
>> 11 to 22 days.  This is not what I consider a desirable timeframe.
>>
>>        I have considered three alternative approaches to speed things up.
>>
>>        First, since the application is not heavily CPU bound, I could use
>> a ThreadPool and execute multiple MapReduce jobs at the same time looking
>> at different tables.  I have never done this, so I am unsure if this would
>> cause any unanticipated side effects.
>>
>>        Second, I could distribute the processes.  I could find as many
>> machines that can successfully talk to the desired cluster properly, give
>> them a subset of tables to work on, and then combine the results post
>> process.
>>
>>        Third, I could combine both the above approaches and run a
>> distributed set of multithreaded process to execute the MapReduce jobs in
>> parallel.
>>
>>        Although it seems to have been asked and answered many times, I
>> will ask once again.  Without the need to change our current configurations
>> or restart the clusters, is there a faster approach to obtain row counts?
>> FYI, my cache size for the Scan is set to 1000.  I have experimented with
>> different numbers, but nothing made a noticeable difference.  Any advice or
> [...]

Confidentiality Notice:  The information contained in this message, including
any attachments hereto, may be confidential and is intended to be read only by
the individual or entity to whom this message is addressed. If the reader of
this message is not the intended recipient or an agent or designee of the
intended recipient, please note that any review, use, disclosure or
distribution of this message or its attachments, in any form, is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please immediately
notify the sender and/or notificati...@carrieriq.com and delete or destroy any
copy of this message and its attachments.