On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 11:20 PM, SiMaYunRui <myl...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Further investigation showsthat if I repeatedly fetch data very quick, the
> latter scanner creations are very fast (< 100ms), but if there is >1minute
> interval between two data fetching, the latter is slow.
> ​
> I am certain that it’s not caused by TCP/SSL handshake (fiddler proves
> that). So I believe there must be a resource reuse somewhere no matter in
> Rest service code or hbase server code.​

​Stargate functions as a client to the HBase cluster. Both the RPC client -
here, Stargate - and the RPC server - here, the RegionServer(s) - have
configurable intervals for keeping idle connections around. Either the
client or server will eventually drop the connection. Who does it depends
on the configured timeouts. You can increase the defaults but it would be
better not to hold scanner resources open.

If you are using version 0.98, we have a new stateless scanning option that
avoids the setup costs of old style scanners. See
https://hbase.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/rest/package-summary.html#operation_stateless_scanner

--
Best regards,

   - Andy