Nope :(Replication uses RPC and that was changed to protobufs. AFAIK snapshots
can also not be exported from 0.94 and 0.98. We have a really shitty story
here.      From: Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
 To: user <user@hbase.apache.org>
 Sent: Monday, December 15, 2014 5:04 PM
 Subject: Re: 0.94 going forward

Does replication and snapshot export work from 0.94.6+ to a 0.96 or 0.98
cluster?

Presuming it does, shouldn't a site be able to use a multiple cluster set
up to do a cut over of a client application?

That doesn't help with needing downtime for to do the eventual upgrade, but
it mitigates the impact on the downstream app.

--
Sean