The randomshit is generated per user. /var/folders has multiple
subdirectories and each one contains subdirs of the users. Also there are
some rules under /etc/defaults/periodic.conf and
/etc/periodic/daily/110.clean-tmps that define how frequently the tmp
directories are cleaned so its rare people change that on Mac OS X but
thats something to consider.

I tried to reproduce Benoit's issue few times following the same steps and
changing TMPDIR and no luck, perhaps there is something else in Benoit's
environment.

esteban.

--
Cloudera, Inc.