Did your shutdown leave any state in ZK (if you are using zk for
assignment) or did some regionservers leave behind WALs?

You can trace AssignmentManager.joinCluster() and more specifically

AssignmentManager.processDeadServersAndRegionsInTransition().  Can you see
any condition where you got into the failover state?

did you shutdown using ./stop-hbase.sh?

rahul