I have a hbase table with with a wide row almost 2K columns per row. Each
KV size is approx 2.1KB
I have populated this table with generated hfiles using a MR job.
There are no write or mutate operations performed on this table.

So Once I am done with major compaction on this table, ideally we should
not require another major or minor compaction if table is not modified.
What I observe is that if I make some configuration change that need to
restart my hbase service, then after restart my compaction on the table is
gone.
And if I start major compaction on the table again, It takes again a long
to compact the table.

Is this expected behavior? I am curious what causes the major compaction to
take a long time if nothing has changed on the table.

I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks

Apratim