Thank you very much Ted, Jean-Marc.

I see that slide 4 in
http://www.slideshare.net/HBaseCon/features-session-2 states
that "cells are only interpreted server side"
However https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-9056 &
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-9884 (likely others) seem to
indicate that tag values can be accessed/mutated from HBase client
programs.
I assumed that this mean that code has evolved since the slides were
created. Or I could just be misunderstanding what the slide meant.

I am hoping to write some kind of small java program to do this now (since
I am not familiar with REST or Thrift). Do you think that is a reasonable
approach?

Thanks
Suresh