Hi Jason
Which version of HBase are you using?

Atleast in trunk I could see that 'OP_ATTRIBUTE_ACL_STRATEGY_CELL_FIRST' is
not used rather by default CHECK_CELL_DEFAULT strategy is what getting used
now.

Ensure that 'hbase.security.authorization' is set to true in
hbase-site.xml. If you could tell the version you are using can be much
more specific.

Regards
Ram