Well, I did a script some time ago... wget the page.jsp, get the region
encoded name, and call the shell to merge them 2 by 2. Job done. will take
10 minutes to write and doesn't require to build or deploy anything.

Other option is like you said. Use the Java API to query the Admin and get
all table regions and then use the admin.merge method...

JMS