Hey JMS,

No, that's not my understanding. I'm not sure how the Normalizer would change the size of the Regions but keep the number of Regions the same :)

IIRC, the Normalizer works by looking at adjacent Regions, merging them together when their size is under the given threshold. The caveat is that it does this relatively slowly to avoid causing duress on users actively doing things on the system.

Having an active mode (do merges fast) and passive mode (do merges slowly) sounds like a nice addition now that I think about it.