Sorry,  seems I misunderstood your question.  only zk configs change for
your slave cluster, the hbase slave cluster
keep the same.

Considered the steps your list:
1. add_peer NEW_ID 'newZK'
2. disable_peer ORIGINAL_ID 'originalZK'.
3. stop slave hbase. move ZK.
4. start slave hbase. Data starts coming in for NEW_ID peer.
5. drop_peer ORIGINAL_ID

I think the main problem is: in step#2, you need to wait until there's
almost no lag between source cluster and sink cluster.
say if there's a huge lag,  and you add new peer in step#1 & disable the
peer in step#2.  then all hlogs enqueued in peer with
ORIGINAL_ID before step#1 won't enqueue in peer NEW_ID again.  If you drop
the peer ORIGINAL_ID, then your slave cluster
will loss that part of data.

If it's a very small lag(<1s) when you disable the original peer in step#2,
I think you can remove the peer right now.

Thanks.