> I won't miss any data as long as I add_peer (step 1) before I
disable_peer (step 2).

Yes, Wellington is right.

Consider the case:
1.  hlog1 enqueued in ORIGAL_ID peer;
2.  rs roll to write hlog2;
3.  add the new peer (your step#1) with NEW_ID, it will only enqueue the
hlog2 to NEW_ID peer;
4.  disable the ORIGINAL_ID (your step#2),  will still have hlog1 & hlog2
in its queue.
5.  remove the ORIGINAL_ID peer (your step#5).  -- the edits from hlog1
lost..

the problem is:  in step#1, hlog1 won't be enqueued into NEW_ID peer again,
so we should wait
all edits from hlog1 are replicated to sink by ORIGIANL_ID peer.  If still
some lag and you remove
the old peer, then all edits from hlog1 will be loss.