From: Bryan Beaudreault <bbeaudrea...@hubspot.com.INVALID>
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2021 2:49 PM
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Subject: Upgrading cdh5.16.2 to apache hbase 2.4 using replication

EXTERNAL

We are running about 40 HBase clusters, with over 5000 regionservers total.
These are all running cdh5.16.2. We also have thousands of clients (from APIs
to kafka workers to hadoop jobs, etc) hitting these various clusters, also
running cdh5.16.2.

We are starting to plan an upgrade to hbase 2.x and hadoop 3.x. I've read
through the docs on https://hbase.apache.org/book.html#_upgrade_paths, and am
starting to plan our approach. More than a few seconds of downtime is not an
option, but rolling upgrade also seems risky (if not impossible for our
version).

One thought I had is whether replication is compatible between these two
versions. If so, we probably would consider swapping onto upgraded clusters
using backup/restore + replication. If we were to go this route we'd probably
want to consider bi-directional replication so that we can roll back to the old
cluster if there's a regression.

Does anyone have any experience with this approach? Is replication protocol
compatible across the seversions? Any concerns, tips or other considerations to
keep in mind? We do the backup/restore + replication approach pretty regularly
to move tables between clusters.

Thanks!