It would be good to do the performance work at least, if you are up for it.
There are always going to be consequences for the kind of significant evolution
that 2.x represents over 1.x.

Regarding performance, a change always has positive and negative consequences.
It is important to understand them both, informed by real world use cases. My
guess is you have real world use cases, Reid. Your results will be meaningful.

Synthetic benchmarks are less interesting unless the regression is obvious and
more like a bug than a consequence. Sure they will report positive and negative
changes, but does that actually mean anything? It depends. Sometimes it will
only mean something if we care about supporting the synthetic benchmark as a
first class use case. (Usually we don’t; but universal cross system bench tools
like YCSB are exceptions.)