Hi Ning,
For the dataset I'm experimenting with, the total size of the output
is 2mb, and the files are at most a few kb in size.  My
hive.input.format was set to default HiveInputFormat; however, when I
set it to CombineHiveInputFormat, it only made the first stage of the
job use fewer mappers.  The merge job was *still* filtered out at
runtime.  I also tried set hive.mergejob.maponly=false; that didn't
have any effect.

I am a bit at a loss what to do here.  Is there a way to see what's
going on exactly using e.g. debug log levels?..  Btw, I'm also using
dynamic partitions; could that somehow be interfering with the merge
job?..

I'm running a relatively fresh Hive from trunk (built maybe a month ago).

--Leo