Hi,

I really like the virtual column feature in 0.7 that allows me to request
INPUT__FILE__NAME and see the names of files that are being acted on.

Because I can see the files that are being read, I see that I am spending time
querying many, many very large files, most of which I do not need to process
because these extra files are in the same s3 bucket location that contains the
files I need.

The files I do need to process only a represent a subset of all files in the
bucket. Nevertheless, the files I am interested in are quite large, and large
enough to make copying to hdfs unwieldy.

Since I know the files I want to process by name before the scan of all files,
can I be more efficient and only process a selection of files from a bucket
avoiding those I don't?

I guess I am still looking for something
likehttps://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-951
I tried sending this message to the dev list initially, but since I haven't
seen a response yet, perhaps this list is more appropriate.

Any suggestions or update on HIVE-951 ?

Thanks,
Avram