From: Jakob Homan [mailto:jgho...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2011 12:13 AM
To: user@hive.apache.org
Subject: Re: A user can GRANT himself

Currently one cannot grant privileges on granting, which does seem a
bit limiting.  This can be rationalized that hive authorization is
only a deterrent against first-order mistakes and idiocy, rather than
a fully functioning authorization system.  This is reasonable since
most of the actively malicious things one may wish to do can be done
just as easily through HDFS, so it's not worth putting much effort
into a system so easily circumvented.  Issues such as
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-1943 demonstrate this as
well.  With hardened security now available in HDFS, it's worth
revisiting and strengthening these authentication options.

-Jakob