Charles,

Hive 0.8.X is right around the corner. However I can not help wondering
asking/noting you say "our policy is to use the CDH releases" yet you are
using HCatalog which is still in the incubator:

http://incubator.apache.org/hcatalog/

You are likely to run into these issues for a while until hive's
(metastore) and hcatalog merge.

Edward