Hi, Stephen
what did you mean the "wrong place under /tmp" in
"I am seeing the following message in the logs (which are in the wrong
place under /tmp..)" ?

Did you mean that you set a different log dir but it didn't work?

the log dir should be set in conf/hive-log4j.properties,
conf/hive-exec-log4j.properties
and you can try to reset HIVE_CONF_DIR in conf/hive-env.sh with ‘export"
command.

- Bing