not sure i understand.  you're asking how to disable  "hive" (with no
args)  [interactive mode]  yet still permit "hive -e" [batch mode]?

if that's the case my proposal would be to have a wrapper around the hive
executable and check if stdin is a tty.

then again if i've completely misunderstood the question could you
elaborate?