Hi Ritesh

To help u get started , I am writing a simple HelloWorld-ish UDF that might
help…If it doesn't please ask for more clarifications...

Good Luck
Thanks

sanjay

ToUpperCase.java

package com.sanjaysubramanian.utils.hive.udf;

import org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.UDF;

public final class ToUpperCase extends UDF{

    protected final Log logger = LogFactory.getLog(toUpperCase.class);

public String evaluate(final String inputString) {

     if (inputString != null){

return inputString.toUpper;

             }

             else {

return inputString;

    }

       }

}

Usage in a Hive script

hive -e "

create temporary function toupper  as
'com.sanjaysubramanian.utils.hive.udf.ToUpperCase';

SELECT
      first_name,
      toupper(first_name)
FROM