Answers as per my understanding and I may be wrong. so wait for others to
correct me as well.

1. What files in hdfs constitute a hive table.
If you specifically do an alter table command and map it to a single file,
all the files inside a directory where the table is created are mapped to
the table.

2. What is the size of each of these files.
This you can easily get out of hadoop dfs command.

3. The time stamp of the creation/last update to each of these files.
Tricky, hive does not maintain a file was created or updated.
What you may want to do is, audit your edit log to see all the changes
happenings to files.
Last modification time of all the files is available to you via hdfs apis.

except anything speicific to hive, whatever you mentioned can be  done via
hdfs api as well as using hadoop command line  tool.

--
Nitin Pawar