I'm so sorry, i wrote an answer, and i forgot to sent it....
And i haven't been able to work on this for a few days.

So far :

I have a 15k columns table and 50k rows.

I do not see any changes if i change the storage.

*Hive 12.0*

My test query is "select * from bigtable"

If i use the hive cli, it works fine.

If i use hiveserver1 + ODBC : it works fine

If i use hiverserver2 + odbc or hiverserver2 + beeline,i have this java
exception :

2014-02-18 13:22:22,571 ERROR thrift.ProcessFunction
(ProcessFunction.java:process(41)) - Internal error processing FetchResults
        at java.util.Arrays.copyOf(Arrays.java:2734)
        at java.util.ArrayList.ensureCapacity(ArrayList.java:167)
        at java.util.ArrayList.add(ArrayList.java:351)
        at
org.apache.hive.service.cli.thrift.TRow.addToColVals(TRow.java:160)
        at
org.apache.hive.service.cli.RowBasedSet.addRow(RowBasedSet.java:60)
        at
org.apache.hive.service.cli.RowBasedSet.addRow(RowBasedSet.java:32)
        at
org.apache.hive.service.cli.operation.SQLOperation.prepareFromRow(SQLOperation.java:270)
        at
org.apache.hive.service.cli.operation.SQLOperation.decode(SQLOperation.java:262)
        at
org.apache.hive.service.cli.operation.SQLOperation.getNextRowSet(SQLOperation.java:246)
        at
org.apache.hive.service.cli.operation.OperationManager.getOperationNextRowSet(OperationManager.java:171)
        at
org.apache.hive.service.cli.session.HiveSessionImpl.fetchResults(HiveSessionImpl.java:438)
        at
org.apache.hive.service.cli.CLIService.fetchResults(CLIService.java:346)
        at
org.apache.hive.service.cli.thrift.ThriftCLIService.FetchResults(ThriftCLIService.java:407)
        at
org.apache.hive.service.cli.thrift.TCLIService$Processor$FetchResults.getResult(TCLIService.java:1373)

*From the SVN trunk* : (for the HIVE-3746)

With the maven change, most of the documentation and wiki are out of date.
Compiling from trunk was not that easy and i may have failed some steps but
:

It has the same behavior. It works in CLI and hiveserver1.
It fails with hiveserver 2.

Regards

David Gayou