> What will Hive do if querying an external table containing orc files
>that are still being written to?

Doing that directly won¹t work at all. Because ORC files are only readable
after the Footer is written out, which won¹t be for any open files.

> I won¹t be able to test these scenarios till tomorrow and would like to
>have some idea of what to expect this afternoon.

If I remember correctly, your previous question was about writing ORC from
Storm.

If you¹re on a recent version of Storm, I¹d advise you to look at
storm-hive/

https://github.com/apache/storm/tree/master/external/storm-hive

Or alternatively, there¹s a ³hortonworks trucking demo² which does a
partition insert instead.

Cheers,
Gopal