yeah but have you ever seen somewhat write a real analytical program in
hive? how? where are the basic abstractions to wrap up a large amount of
operations (joins, groupby's) into a single function call? where are the
tools to write nice unit test for that?

for example in spark i can write a DataFrame => DataFrame that internally
does many joins, groupBys and complex operations. all unit tested and
perfectly re-usable. and in hive? copy paste round sql queries? thats just
dangerous.

On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 8:09 PM, Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hive has numerous extension points, you are not boxed in by a long shot.
>

> On Tuesday, February 2, 2016, Koert Kuipers <ko...@tresata.com> wrote:
>
>> uuuhm with spark using Hive metastore you actually have a real
>> programming environment and you can write real functions, versus just being
>> boxed into some version of sql and limited udfs?
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 6:46 PM, Xuefu Zhang <xzh...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>>
>>> When comparing the performance, you need to do it apple vs apple. In
>>> another thread, you mentioned that Hive on Spark is much slower than Spark
>>> SQL. However, you configured Hive such that only two tasks can run in
>>> parallel. However, you didn't provide information on how much Spark SQL is