Depends really what you want to do. Hive is more for queries involving a lot of
data, whereby hbase+Phoenix is more for oltp scenarios or sensor ingestion.

I think the reason is that hive has been the entry point for many engines and
formats. Additionally there is a lot of tuning capabilities from hardware over
software to make it fast. Thus, other software always had it a little bit
difficult.