Hi Naveen,

Thank you for your detailed explanation.

Please allow me to explain my points if I may

I think a viable solution for big data stack will encompass (again this is
my view) Spark with Hive, HDFS and Yarn as winning combinations. Hadoop
encompasses HDFS and it is almost impossible to side step it without
finding a viable alternative as a persistent storage. Yarn is the resource
rock, Spark is a great query tool including Spark streaming and Hive is the
real Data Warehouse in Big data space that provides the meta-data for all
the tools.

You will forgive me to set aside Impala as I don't hear much about it
anymore (please feel free to agree to differ). So my prime interest is to
see Hive being improved as it should be, i.e. a proper Data Warehouse with
proper indexing strategy. I don’t really subscribe to ORC storage index as
through my experience they have not delivered the contribution to Hive CBO
as expected. My personal experience has been that they provide some
improvements on what is already available (Stats wise), but otherwise
unless you bucket your table (i.e. have an effective numeric column with
high cardinality that can be used in hash partitioning the table), one
cannot make effective use of storage index.

Now back to Hive and its external indexes. Currently the infrastructure is
there but not the functionality. I don’t know what it takes to make indexes
in Hive accountable for the CBO. We should aim to consolidate Hadoop
ecosystem by investing in the existing tools rather than trying to fragment
it further. There seems to be little effort in this area for reasons that I
may not be aware. However, I am more than happy to contribute to this case.

Kind regards,

Mich

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

LinkedIn *