Correct you need to specify the columns. If you created the file I assume
you have a record of them.

Someone more familiar with the hive code will have to comment on the
exceptions.

On Wednesday, August 3, 2016, Johannes Stamminger <
johannes.stammin...@airbus.com> wrote:

> But doing so I assume it does not detect the columns on it's own, I have to
> specify such manually - or am I wrong? The orc file I finally want to work
> with contains ~28000 columns (513MB size, ~500000 rows, 3 structs with 2 of
> them containing ~14000 fields each) ...
>
> The hive documentation for the create table statement shows the columns
> part
> being optional. In fact it seems required, at least I found no way to avoid
> it.
>

> For testing purposes I started with a smaller one and found two ways of
> bringing the data to hive. Unfortunately I actually fail on accessing it:
>

> a) create external table:
>
> Succeeding statement:
>
> create external table if not exists CFA1_Fan_Speed_DMC(record
> struct<normalizedTime:bigint,RAW:bigint,ENG:float>) stored as ORC location
> '...';
>
> with the location having specified containig my existing orc file named
> exactly like the table, CFA1_Fan_Speed_DMC.
>
> But every selection for data results in:
>
> Error: java.io.IOException: java.lang.RuntimeException: Char length 256
> out of
> allowed range [1, 255] (state=,code=0)
>
> Tried with:
>  - select * from CFA1_Fan_Speed_DMC;
>  - select record from CFA1_Fan_Speed_DMC;
>  - select record.normalizedTime from CFA1_Fan_Speed_DMC;
>

> b) create table and load from file
>
> Succeeding statements:
>
> create table cfa1(record
> struct<normalizedTime:bigint,RAW:bigint,ENG:float>)
> stored as orc;
>
> load data inpath '.../CFA1_Fan_Speed_DMC' into table cfa1;
>
> Same statements for querying as above (of course using the different table
> name) still fail, but now with:
>
> Error: java.io.IOException: java.io.IOException: ORC does not support type
> conversion from file type bigint (1) to reader type
> struct<normalizedTime:bigint,RAW:bigint,ENG:float> (1) (state=,code=0)
>

> So what is wrong with the above?
>

> I should mention, that I created the orc files having used using the latest
> orc-core lib (1.1.2). That seems not to be the same implementation for orc
> files access as being used in hive.
>

> Thanks for all hints!
>

> Am Mittwoch, 3. August 2016, 08:45:45 CEST schrieb Marcin Tustin:
> > Yes. Create an external table whose location contains only the orc
> file(s)
> > you want to include in the table.
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 7:53 AM, Johannes Stamminger <
> >
> > johannes.stammin...@airbus.com <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >

> > > is it possible to write data to an orc file(s) using the hive-orc api
> and
> > > use such by hive (create a table from it)?
> > >

> > > Regards
> > > This email (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or
> > > privileged information or information otherwise protected from
> disclosure.
> [...]

Want to work at Handy? Check out our culture deck and open roles
<http://www.handy.com/careers>
Latest news <http://www.handy.com/press> at Handy
Handy just raised $50m
<http://venturebeat.com/2015/11/02/on-demand-home-service-handy-raises-50m-in-round-led-by-fidelity/>