Some progress: I could eliminate the error reported in a): the data file needs
to be named 000000_0 and must be placed in a the directory denoted by the
location given at table creation. This is what the error message is about? ;-)

Now the situation for a) is the same as for b):

Trying to fetch data by

select * from CFA1_Fan_Speed_DMC limit 1;

results in

Error: java.io.IOException: java.io.IOException: ORC does not support type
conversion from file type timestamp (1) to reader type
struct<normalizedTime:timestamp,RAW:bigint,ENG:float> (1) (state=,code=0)

But if I create a comparable table within hive, things do work:

create table x(y struct<a:timestamp,b:bigint,c:float>);

insert into x select named_struct('a', current_timestamp, 'b', bigint(42),
'c', float(4.2)) from dummy limit 1;

select * from x;
+-------------------------------------------------+--+
|                       x.y                       |
+-------------------------------------------------+--+
| {"a":"2016-08-04 14:49:01.636","b":42,"c":4.2}  |
+-------------------------------------------------+--+

The tables look similar:

describe CFA1_Fan_Speed_DMC;
+-----------+--------------------------------------------------------
+----------+--+
| col_name  |                       data_type                        | comment

+-----------+--------------------------------------------------------
+----------+--+
| record    | struct<normalizedTime:timestamp,RAW:bigint,ENG:float>  |

+-----------+--------------------------------------------------------
+----------+--+

describe x;
+-----------+---------------------------------------+----------+--+
| col_name  |               data_type               | comment  |
+-----------+---------------------------------------+----------+--+
| y         | struct<a:timestamp,b:bigint,c:float>  |          |
+-----------+---------------------------------------+----------+--+

So does anybody have an idea what might be wrong with my external table
access? Anything that I could give a try?

privileged information or information otherwise protected from disclosure. If
you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately, do
not copy this message or any attachments and do not use it for any purpose or
disclose its content to any person, but delete this message and any attachments
from your system. Astrium and Airbus Group companies disclaim any and all
liability if this email transmission was virus corrupted, altered or falsified.
Airbus DS GmbH
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Bernhard Gerwert
Geschäftsführung: Evert Dudok (Vorsitzender), Dr. Lars Immisch, Dr. Michael
Menking, Dr. Johannes von Thadden
Sitz der Gesellschaft: München - Registergericht: Amtsgericht München, HRB Nr.
107 647
Ust. Ident. Nr. /VAT reg. no. DE167015356