Okay, I drove back to work to check this out. It turns out all my
troubles were being caused by inconsistent equals/hashCode. The key in
the cache was an abstract base class with multiple overrides (which in
itself I believe is one of those grayish areas wrt equals/hashCode). I
just changed this to string and it all worked perfectly. I'll find the
root reason on monday :)

Kristian